Without technical supervision, safely performs the most complex machining and fitting of all kinds of parts, tools, and machines in support of production operations or job shop machining. Lays-out work from blueprints, sketches, and written specifications. Sets-up and operates all available machine tools and performs progressive machining operations on work involving very close tolerances or unusual requirements. Determines operation sequences. Uses skillfully all machinists' hand tools and measuring instruments. Familiar with working properties of all materials. Programs Fanuc and Okuma CNC machine tools in the course of making parts. Fits and assembles where necessary. At this level machinists serve as technical resources for less experienced machinists.
1. Run dispatch list; understand and decipher part numbers.
2. Follow work instructions, drawings, established quality standards, and established safety protocols.
3. Must meet defined production expectations and be on-time to schedule.
4. Set-up and operate a variety of machining equipment, including but not limited to: CNC lathe, CNC mill, conventional lathe, conventional mill, etc. Perform set-up of machinery for others.
5. Coordinate the work flow for Machinist I’s and Machinist II’s to ensure work is performed in the most efficient manner and that all orders are produced according to schedule.
6. Coordinate rush orders into daily schedule and assign tasks to appropriate machinist or machine operator.
7. Train Machinist I’s and Machinist II’s on the use of the machines and equipment within the department, as well as how to inspect the finished product for defects or others quality issues.
8. Can calculate tooling speeds and feeds and can teach others.
9. Investigate problem parts and seek solutions with Engineering.
10. Operate, and can teach others to use, measuring instruments with a high degree of accuracy.
11. Has specialized knowledge of metal properties, shop mathematics, and shop documents can teach this knowledge to Machinist I’s and Machinist II’s.
12. Enter, and can teach others to enter, transactions into the computer.
13. Meet all company work schedule and attendance expectations, and perform within the physical and environmental demands of the job.
ADDITIONAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Pull materials and put materials away.
2. Participate in process improvement events, as directed.
3. Assist with other functions within the department, as directed.
4. Assist other departments with various duties and projects, as directed.
5. Attend required meetings.
6. Participate in physical inventories.
7. Alert Lead or Assistant Supervisor to material shortages, quality, safety, or personnel issues.
8. Can operate a handheld barcode scanner.
9. May fill in when Lead is absent.
10. May assist in training others on assembly process.
11. May assist in evaluating peer performance.
12. Learn and adhere to our Kan-Ban system.
13. Maintain, and teach others to maintain, a clean work area.
14. Create work flow and other documents as needed.
15. Maintain a filing system for paperwork.
16. Assists in the training of Machinist I and II when requested.
17. Fulfill the Accident Prevention Program responsibilities defined by Romac’s Environmental, Health, & Safety team.
1. High School Diploma or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
2. 5+ years of experience in a machinist or production role or technical college.
3. Possess effective written and verbal communication skills.
4. Can effectively read and write.
5. Can properly use and read a tape measure, micrometer, calipers, and any other measuring tools.
6. Ability to handle small tools, power tools, and equipment.
7. Ability to read drawings/blueprints/sketches.
8. Must have a great eye for detail to ensure shipment of high quality products.
9. High mechanical aptitude.
10. High degree of manual dexterity.
11. Work to very close tolerances.
12. Know all machine set-up procedures.
13. Maintain high quality control.
14. Apply knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures daily.
15. Able to work in a group as a team player.
16. Must be able to work independently.
17. Must be able to perform all aspects of the Machinist I and Machinist II positions.
18. Computer experience required.
19. Must be able to pass a background check and drug test.
ADDITIONAL PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
1. Lean Manufacturing experience
2. 5S experience
3. Understanding of inventory control systems
4. Forklift certification
5. Crane operation
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume and salary requirements to email@example.com.
No phone calls please, as we will happily contact you, should your skills, knowledge and qualifications match our needs. Romac Industries, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.